The remains of St Peters church and its walled graveyard lie at the north eastern edge of the new Stanton Low Country Park, near Great Linford, Milton Keynes.
A report published in 1927 (when the building was intact and in use) described it as being built of rubble with a roof covered with tiles.
The report tells us that the chancel was probably an early church to which a new nave was added during the first half of the 12th century. Some of the earliest congregations would therefore have gathered in the times of Henry the Second and Richard the Lionheart if not earlier.
The south wall of the chancel, which was unusually thick, is thought to be the oldest part of the building. It was pierced by two openings; both appear to have opened into a south chapel and dates from the 12th century.
The chancel arch, once a beautiful example of Norman work, dates from around 1150 and was originally of two orders, the outer ornamented with a chevron moulding and the inner with a large roll with beak-head and grotesque ornament at intervals. A third gothic arch was added for strengthening around the 14th century. The arch was removed to St James, New Bradwell, after the roof of St Peters collapsed in 1956.
In the 13th century the north wall of the chancel was rebuilt and a north aisle added to the nave. The west wall of the nave was rebuilt in the 15th century.
The north aisle was probably completed in the 13th century and removed in the late 16th century, when the arcade was blocked and the north porch built.
In the chancel floor was a slab to the memory of Clare Wittewronge (d.1669), Wife to John Wittewronge.
The Calvinist, Rev John Mason, preached at the Funeral of Mrs. Wittewronge. Mason was for a time vicar of Stantonbury (at that time a virtually deserted village) and was also chaplain to John Wittewronge who was a Parliamentary Officer during the English Civil War. Mason subsequently published the sermon in 1671 under the title The Waters of Marah Sweetned and went on to be known as a poet and influential hymn-writer.
Today, sadly, St Peters is but a broken shell, of the proud little church that weathered nearly a thousand years of English history. None-the-less with a little TLC, and a supportive community, these stones can stand proud for many more years, as a quiet and tranquil reminder, of the people, history and heritage around which a new city has grown.